Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Book Review #1: The Night Angel Trilogy

Oh snap. I forgot to mention I may be doing some book commentary too, didn't I? Oh yeah, that's because I thought of it this morning. Ha. Anyway, I read. A lot. As I sit here typing on my laptop, I have a bookshelf stacked two rows deep with books, at least four boxes of books in my closet and an unknown number of boxes full of books in storage lockers both here and in Kansas City.

Having grown up as a fat kid that hated sports (and I still do, but that's neither here nor there), books and video games were how I spent my time. I tend to like book series because finishing a book really bums me out and it's nice to know that there's another book after it.

I've read several, but I'm gonna babble about one I learned about recently and just finished a few weeks ago.

I actually learned this from a web video from LordKat, one of the contributors to ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com. It's The Night Angel Trilogy, composed of The Way of Shadows, Shadow's Edge and Beyond the Shadows. They're fantasy, kinda. I hate to think of the phrase "action-packed" because it's the most over-used phrase that critics tend to fling about, but seriously, it is one of the only descriptors that I can think of to describe these books. I'll try to summarize the plot without spoiling too much.

The books follow Kylar Stern, a "wetboy", this universe's term for an assassin with certain magical abilities. And, you know, that's about all I can say to not utterly spoil parts of the three books. Reading these books takes some getting used to, because the author jumps around a lot between characters, but every time he does, it's because something important that we need to know is happening there.

God, it's so hard to describe them, but they are so wonderful that I seriously considered starting the trilogy over again after finishing Beyond the Shadows. That is probably the highest praise I can give a book or series; that they are so good I want to just start them over again from the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment